Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Steam Links!

I am not one for often posting links but this is just too cool to turn up. Its a Steam-Powered Bionic Arm

I know you are saying big deal, I have seen these on Edward Pearse and Qlippothic Projects, but wait, this is in that big blue sim called REAL LIFE.

Quote:
Goldfarb’s power source is about the size of a pencil and contains a special catalyst that causes hydrogen peroxide to burn. When this compound burns, it produces pure steam. The steam is used to open and close a series of valves. The valves are connected to the spring-loaded joints of the prosthesis by belts made of a special monofilament used in appliance handles and aircraft parts. A small sealed canister of hydrogen peroxide that easily fits in the upper arm can provide enough energy to power the device for 18 hours of normal activity.

A 21st century application of the most Caledonian Power sources, Steam.

And since I am linking today, the inspiration for the new bartender I have in Steam Sonnet, (behind ZenMondo's CodePoetry & Steamworks in SteamSkyCity) a steam powered Astromech droid.

I present R2-S2 by Crabfu.





And speaking of Steam Engines...

Did you know Jay Leno is a SteamPunk?

Jay Leno's 1870 Staitionary Engine (part 2 where its built and working and turned on )

Jay Leno's Stanley Steamer (Automobile as god & queen intended, powered by steam!)

Thats not all the steam-powered things at Jay Leno's garage but those are my favorites. I am not what could be described as mechanically inclined, but for some reason I love that site.


No comments: